Our independently owned physician clinic, made up of 20 plus different specialties, is proud of the fact that, for over 60 years, this community has trusted us to provide quality health care to thousands of families each and every year.
Our initiatives of "going beyond the walls of the clinic" to serve you in your health care needs has created a stronger awareness within our community and the need to expand our walls to house all 20 plus specialties within one location. While we have seen significant growth and change since our doors opened in 1949, we have been successful because we have never forgotten the importance of focusing on patient care. "You are the reason we do what we do", says Dr. Derek Johnson, Pediatrics.
Murfreesboro Medical Clinic (MMC) was founded in July 1949 by Dr. Carl Adams and Dr. S.C. Garrison. Their partnership and practice has had a profound effect on the course of medicine in Rutherford County. Together, Drs. Adams and Garrison brought the theory of multi-specialty group practice to Rutherford County.
Dr. Adams received his Medical Degree in 1940 from the University of Rochester School of Medicine and was licensed by the state of Tennessee in 1941. He served a General Surgical and Pathology residency at Nashville General Hospital from 1941-1944. He practiced in Woodbury with his father from 1945-1947. Dr. Adams returned to Nashville in 1947 to serve a residency in Chest Surgery at the Davidson County Tuberculosis Hospital from 1947-1948. He was received as a Fellow in both the American College of Surgeons and the American College of Chest Physicians in 1948. He retired from active medical practice in 1971, after which he devoted full time to his interest in nursing home care and geriatric medicine. Dr. Adams founded National Health Corporation in 1971 which has become one of the largest corporations devoted exclusively to nursing home care. Dr. Adams died September 7, 1994.
Dr. Garrison received his Medical Degree from Vanderbilt University in 1943. He served a Rotating Internship and a Residence in Medicine at Nashville General Hospital 1944-1946. He served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps from 1946-1948. He then returned to Nashville General Hospital to serve a one-year residency in Pathology. He was certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in 1955. During Dr. Garrison’s years of practice in Murfreesboro, he initiated the Respiratory Care Service at Rutherford Hospital (now St. Thomas Rutherford Hospital) in 1968, was a major influence in establishing the Rutherford County Ambulance Service, and provided the leadership in establishing the Coronary Care Unit at Rutherford Hospital in 1967. In 1987, St. Thomas Rutherford Hospital honored Dr. Garrison by naming the unit "The Dr. S.C. Garrison Coronary Care Unit." In 1986, Dr. Garrison retired from active medical practice.
Murfreesboro Medical Clinic was originally located at 103 North Spring Street. In 1954, Dr. Adams, Dr. Garrison, and three other associates moved their offices to 420 University Street, which is now NHC. In 1972, the Clinic incorporated and became Murfreesboro Medical Clinic, P.A. As growth continued, a larger facility was needed and the first part of the Highland Avenue building was constructed in 1979. The clinic had 13 physicians on staff when we moved into our 38,000 square feet of office space. In 1989, we had 25 physicians and needed to expand again. We began construction of our 37,000 square feet addition, which included 7,500 square feet dedicated to an out-patient surgery center, and moved into the area in February 1990. An addition of 49,000 square feet was completed in December 1997. With this addition, our medical staff stood at more than 70 physicians.
Today, we have nearly 600 associates on staff. Our medical staff include specialists in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Gastroenterology, General Surgery, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology (ENT), Spine, Joint and Pain, Plastic Surgery, Dermatology, Endocrinology, Neurology, Podiatry, Rheumatology, Vascular Surgery, Urology, and Radiology including general radiology, digital mammography, ultrasound, CT, MRI and bone densitometry. MMC also provides complete laboratory services on-site. Beyond the traditional services offered by our specialist, patients can also benefit from Murfreesboro's only dermatology-supervised medi-spa, U Medi Spa, or our physician-directed weight management program, Weight Loss and Wellness.
More than BRICK AND MORTAR...While our investment in brick and mortar allows us to create a new health care experience for patients, their families, staff and visitors, YOUR HEALTH IS STILL OUR MISSION!